To bring the world cinema into your living room, the main key factor which helps you to give an awestruck near the theatre experience is sound effects! Get that ‘aha’ moment through the various digital sound formats. With growing technologies, there is numerous digital sound system in the market, let us take a look at Dolby Digital vs DTS.
What is Dolby Digital?
“Dolby Digital – An Established Standard in Audio system”
Dolby sound brings the world-class sound system across home theater, broadcasts, and cinemas. The global standard provides several benefits delivering 7.1 channels of surround systems right from traditional TV screens and iPads to mobile screens. With an automatic stereo version feature, it helps to streamline the audio tracks and sounds excellent across any digital screens.
Dolby Digital for Broadcasters
- Dolby Digital delivers up to 5.1 channels of surround sound across millions of devices.
- These are mostly used in digital satellite and HD TV systems.
- All the ATSC television standard systems use the Dolby Digital audio in western countries from the US, Canada irrespective of whether it is the standard definition or high definition
- Dolby Digital sets the metadata parameter to seamlessly transmit the single audio bitstream in a different channel system like mono, stereo or 5.1 channel system.
- These metadata usually contains the dialogue level, downmixing, dynamic range control, etc.
Dolby Digital for Content Creators
- Dolby Digital helps you to create excellent audio tracks for your playbacks for any type of content length. Video games, short films or TV series content can now get real surround system audio quality.
- Multichannel audio can be made as an integral part of your storytelling. It is highly compatible with several playback systems like game systems, DVD players and set-up boxes.
- The Dolby Game developer support program provides you with all the necessary frameworks, audio format for creating a pitch-perfect Dolby Digital audio.
- Also, master the DVD-video/Audio, Blu-ray discs with Dolby Media producer which is a software designed to support the Dolby’s audio codecs effortlessly.
Dolby Digital for Distributors
- The right mix of digital and analog soundtracks on the same print adds original and in-depth sound systems for feature films, short films or documentaries.
- They offer a high-quality standard supporting several frequency ranges in a reliable way across worldwide.
- Dolby’s standard sound replay options provide an established playback format consistently.
What is the DTS Sound system?
Jurassic Park from Universal Studios, has seen a massive blockbuster in the history of world cinema in the 1990s. Well as much its story plot and direction was much talked about, the technology behind it also gained great momentum.
The legendary director Stephan Speilberg, used DTS, Digital Theatre Sound for all that jaw-dropping and pitch-perfect Dino effects. DTS offers audio at higher bit rates and provides surround sound supremacy.
DTS consists of an array of advanced sound formats like DTS-HD (high resolution) format, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS:X to compete Dolby Atmos.
What is the Difference between Dolby Digital and DTS:
Dolby Digital vs DTS
Both of these technologies give a world-class sound system with brilliant audio experiences. However, in some cases, DTS may give much richer experience due to its higher bitrates or Dolby Digital gives higher speaker calibration and noise cancellation better than DTS.
Whatever the audio format you use, the constant evaluation of these digital audio enhancing the viewing experience to a great new level.
|Dolby Digital||Digital Theatre Sound|
|Dolby digital surround sound is in a compressed format so that it can fit into the DVD format.||DTS is not as compressed as the Dolby Digital but it created as an alternative to AC 5.1 surround sound.|
|Compression levels and bitrates:||Compression levels and bitrates:|
|For Blu-rays: |
It compresses 5.1 digital audio to 640-kilo bits/second.
When compared to Dolby Digital, these support lower compression and higher bit rates. Blu-rays up to 1.5 megabits per second.
|For DVD discs: |
It supports little lower bit rates up to bit rates of 448-kilo bits/second.
|For DVD discs:|
It supports higher bit rates of 768 kilobits per second.
Dolby Digital Plus supports 1.7 Mbps.
DTS-HD High Resolution supports 6 Mbps.
|Dolby Atmos utilizes extra speakers and install them on the ceiling for the ‘bubble’ effect.||DTS:X does not need any additional speakers or extra hardware & works with standard sound setup.|
Also Read: What is Adaptive Bitrate Streaming & How Does it Work
Whether you are planning to set up a home theater unit from scratch or opting to buy a new entertainment system with the latest surround system, doing a little research on the current sound formats will help you in the long run. Get your weekend movie nights right by setting the perfect home movie setup and have a memorable movie-watching experience.
This is a helpful article. I certainly can enrich my knowledge by reading this.
Your idea is really outstanding. Thank’s to share us such a significant thing.